Brett Ledbetter is the Co-founder of What Drives Winning. He is the author of 4 books: What Drives Winning, What’s Really Important, What Drives Winning Teams, and What Drives Winning Environments. He has given three TEDx Talks on Building Your Inner Coach and How to Stop Comparing Yourself to Others. Athletic Departments hire him as a thinking partner for athletic directors, coaches, and athletes. He co-founded and facilitates the What Drives Winning Conference with Hall-of-Fame coach, Becky Burleigh. His work focuses on character development, behavior management, priority alignment, and self-awareness. Brett works with and applies his high-performance training within the education, military, sport, and business sectors.
Becky Burleigh is the former Women’s Soccer Coach at the University of Florida. In 26 seasons at the helm of the UF soccer team, Burleigh, 53, led UF to a NCAA Championship, two NCAA College Cup appearances, 14 Southeastern Conference titles, and 22 NCAA Championships berths. Becky was the 1998 NSCAA/Adidas Coach of the Year. She was the SEC Coach of the year in 1996, 2000, 2008, and 2010. She is the co-founder of What Drives Winning.
WATCH this conversation on YouTube. And SUBSCRIBE!
Read my new book, The Pursuit Of Excellence — See why Patrick Lencioni said “this book is an absolute must-read if you care to live an excellent life.”
Be part of “Mindful Monday” — Text Hawk to 66866
The Learning Leader Show
- Don Meyer – When Brett met him he was the all-time winningest coach. He told Brett that he’s not big on setting goals.
- Brad Stevens – “I don’t even talk in terms of goals. As a team, we never talk about it. The only thing we talk about is the process.”
- Goal: The result to which effort is aimed. The process drives the result. Focus on the process.
- Coach K: “Character drives everything. It’s the foundation upon which you win and develop.”
- The two things that make up character:
- Performance Skills – The things that will get you up at 5:30 to work out.
- Moral Skills – Govern your relationship with others. The things that make you a great teammate and friend.
- Character drives the process… Which drives the result.
- Sherri Coale – “Excellence is hard to keep quiet.” The best way to earn the promotion (or the next job) is to be excellent at your current one.
- How to stop comparing yourself with others?
- If you’re in a relationship, what would happen if you said to your partner… “I hope you have a great day today… Just not as great as mine.”
- Instead of Me Versus You. It’s me with you. You compare yourself to your previous self.
- Shane Battier versus Elton Brand… Run your own race.
- “Watch the player, meet the person.”
- Taking Dents: Golf balls originally did not have any dimples. They were smooth. Over time, people noticed that dented golf balls would go farther. People are the same way. Our dents help us go farther. We need adversity to build resilience, strength, and to get better.
- Dented golf balls are “designed to go far.”
- Apply to be part of my Leadership Circle
- Read: The Pursuit Of Excellence
- Read: WELCOME TO MANAGEMENT
- Be part of “Mindful Monday” — Text HAWK to 66866
- Read: The Good Life
- Connect with me on LinkedIn
- Join our Facebook Group: The Learning Leader Community
- To Follow Me on Twitter: @RyanHawk12
Episode 078: Kat Cole – From Hooters Waitress To President of Cinnabon
Episode 216: Jim Collins — How To Go From Good To Great
Episode #300: AJ & Keith Hawk – How To Instill Work Ethic & Curiosity In Your Children
Episode #303: General Stanley McChrystal – The New Definition Of Leadership