Max Lugavere is the author of the New York Times best-seller Genius Foods: Become Smarter, Happier, and More Productive While Protecting Your Brain for Life. He appears regularly on the Dr. Oz Show, the Rachael Ray Show, and The Doctors. His latest book is called Genius Kitchen – Over 100 Easy & Delicious Recipes to make your brain sharp, body strong, and taste buds happy.
WATCH this conversation on YouTube. And SUBSCRIBE!
Read my new book, The Pursuit Of Excellence — See why Patrick Lencioni said “this book is an absolute must-read if you care to live an excellent life.”
Be part of “Mindful Monday” — Text Hawk to 66866
The Learning Leader Show
- “A healthy person has 100 wishes. A sick person has 1.”
- This subject became personal for Max when his mother, Kathy, was given a diagnosis of dementia, and he devoted himself to her care. She died in 2018. “Now that Mom is gone, I am even more obsessed with the topic.”
- Shop in the perimeter of the supermarket. Reach for nutrient-dense foods.
- Lifestyle changes that will 10x the quality of your life:
- Getting 8-9 hours of sleep instead of 4-6
- Eating more animal protein (especially beef and eggs)
- Less cardio, more strength training
- Regular heat (sauna) and cold (ice bath/cold shower) stress
- Daily sunlight
- Intermittent fasting – instead of eating 16 hours a day, eat 8.
- Drinking caffeine is “taking a loan out on energy from later in the day?” – Cortisol peaks in the AM. Wait 45 minutes after you wake up to drink caffeine. Stop drinking caffeine from time to time so that your body can reset.
- Willpower is a finite resource. Create your environment to make good decisions.
- Whole Foods – 3 Things to think about:
- Protein – #1 satiating piece. Greek yogurt, beef jerky, eggs
- Fiber – It stretches out your stomach. Helps fill you up. Greens, broccoli, whole fruit.
- Water – Get hydrated.
- Supplements – Protein shakes. Whey isolate. He uses muscle feast.
- Most bread is not useful. It’s ultra-processed food.
- Alcohol – Most wine has a lot of sugar. Most alcohol does. Max drinks tequila.
- Wake up, hydrate… “I’m up somewhere between 7 and 8. I don’t use an alarm clock. I go straight into the kitchen and drink a tall glass of room-temperature water. I may sprinkle a bit of mineral salt in it which replenishes electrolytes.”
- Light… Air… “Whether it’s winter or summer, I go out onto my terrace and do a few minutes of deep breathing, stretching, and meditation. I’m a big believer in getting in natural light in the morning because it aligns my circadian rhythm for the day.
- Apply to be part of my Leadership Circle
- Read: The Pursuit Of Excellence
- Read: WELCOME TO MANAGEMENT
- Be part of “Mindful Monday” — Text HAWK to 66866
- Read: Genius Kitchen
- Connect with me on LinkedIn
- Join our Facebook Group: The Learning Leader Community
- To Follow Me on Twitter: @RyanHawk12
Episode 078: Kat Cole – From Hooters Waitress To President of Cinnabon
Episode 216: Jim Collins — How To Go From Good To Great
Episode #300: AJ & Keith Hawk – How To Instill Work Ethic & Curiosity In Your Children
Episode #303: General Stanley McChrystal – The New Definition Of Leadership