Jon Gordon is the author of 23 books including 10 best sellers. His books include the timeless classic The Energy Bus which has sold over 2 million copies, The Carpenter which was a top 5 business book of the year, Training Camp, The Power of Positive Leadership, The Power of a Positive Team, The Coffee Bean, Stay Positive, and The Garden. Jon and his tips have been featured on The Today Show, CNN, CNBC, The Golf Channel, & Fox and Friends. His clients include The Los Angeles Dodgers, Campbell’s Soup, Dell, Publix, Southwest Airlines, Miami Heat, The Los Angeles Rams, Snapchat, Truist Bank, Clemson Football, Northwestern Mutual, West Point Academy, and more.
Be part of “Mindful Monday” — Text LEARNERS to 44222
The Learning Leader Show
- How to be a great teammate:
- Put the team first
- “We not me”
- Superstars make the people around them better
- Get tactical (be a great teammate):
- Look for opportunities for the betterment of the team
- Work hard, build a foundation of trust, communicate well, connect with each team member, CARE about them
- Encourage means to “put courage into them.”
- “Leadership is a transfer of belief.”
- Use ‘positive discontent.” “Love tough instead of tough love.”
- “Trust is the currency of leadership.”
- Change Management (learned from Dabo Sweeney)
- Know what the culture stands for
- Know what you value
- Set standards (non-negotiables)
- Create your vision and purpose — WHY are you doing it?
- Get buy-in
- Optimism and belief are vital
- Must develop relationships
- “People follow the leader first and the vision second.”
- Ask: “Are they connected and committed?”
- A great leader wants their team members to get promoted
- Culture is not static. It’s dynamic. It must be built every day. “It’s not one thing. It’s everything.”
- Jon wrote The Energy Bus in three weeks. And it changed the trajectory of his life.
- Don’t be carrots or eggs… Be coffee beans. Be able to “transform the environment.”
- 10 Life Rules of Row The Boat:
- #2: Trained behavior creates boring habits, boring habits create elite instincts.
- #3 You win with people, not just players— people who make their life about others.
- #5 The hardest part about being the standard is that you are the standard all the time.
- Excellent Teams:
- Bad teams, nobody leads
- Average teams, coaches lead
- Elite teams, players lead
- Advice — “Love, serve, care. Love your team, love your customers, love people. Love drives grit. Always ask the question, ‘how can I serve others?’ When you care, you stand out in the world.”
- “Enthusiasm comes from the Greek word entheos, which means ‘inspired’ or ‘filled with the divine.” (Energy Bus)
- “Thoughts are magnetic. What we think about we attract.” (Energy Bus)
- Goals — “it’s not your goals that will lead to your success but your commitment to the process,” (You Win in the Locker Room First). The best teams don’t focus on winning championships. They focus on being champions. This leads to championships.
- “When leaders become focused on the fruit instead of the root and worry about the outcome instead of the process of developing team members, they may survive in the short run, but they will not thrive in the long run.” (You win in the Locker Room First)
- “The character you possess during the drought is what your team will remember during the harvest.”
- “There’s a difference between culture and having a theme for the year. A theme does not equal culture. Too many schools/org move from theme to theme instead of building a culture. Utilize a theme as a tool to help you build a great culture.
- “They asked a bunch of ninety-five-year-olds if they could do it all over again and live their life again what would they do differently. The three things that almost all of them said were: (1) They would reflect more. Enjoy more moments. More sunrises and sunsets. More moments of joy. (2) They would take more risks and chances. Life is too short not to go for it. (3) They would have left a legacy. Something that would live on after they die.”
- Apply to be part of my Leadership Circle
- Read: WELCOME TO MANAGEMENT
- Be part of “Mindful Monday” — Text LEARNERS to 44222
- Read: Row The Boat & The Energy Bus
- Connect with me on LinkedIn
- Join our Facebook Group: The Learning Leader Community
- To Follow Me on Twitter: @RyanHawk12
Episode 078: Kat Cole – From Hooters Waitress To President of Cinnabon
Episode 216: Jim Collins — How To Go From Good To Great
Episode #300: AJ & Keith Hawk – How To Instill Work Ethic & Curiosity In Your Children
Episode #303: General Stanley McChrystal – The New Definition Of Leadership