Jay Clouse leads Community Experience for Smart Passive Income. He joined Smart Passive Income in December 2020 after SPI acquired his private community and virtual accelerator, Unreal Collective. In his startup life, he was the co-founder of a digital ticketing startup called Tixers (acquired in 2015). Jay hosts a podcast called Creative Elements. Creative Elements interviews high-profile creators like Seth Godin, James Clear, Vanessa Van Edwards. This episode was edited and produced by Jay Clouse and his team. You will notice it sounds different from all of my other episodes.
WATCH this conversation on YouTube. And SUBSCRIBE!
Be part of “Mindful Monday” — Text LEARNERS to 44222
The Learning Leader Show
- Commitment: “You don’t need to be uniquely talented or creative to make a living as a creator. But you need to be committed.“
- “A creator makes an asset for the purpose of being consumed and creating value for both the consumer and the creator.” — Leaders need to be creators — They create/build culture. They need to be effective communicators, writers, they need to create a vision and inspire people…
- The WHY: “I created Creative Elements to bridge the gap between art and business by talking to high-profile creators about the nitty-gritty of building their creative career.”
- Community – “A group of people with commonality – shared interests, values, or beliefs.” — Community traces back to the late 14th century, with both French and Latin roots. “Community” was used to describe “a number of people associated together by the fact of residence in the same locality” as well as “the common people.”
- Sales — “Sales is a scorecard for storytelling.”
- Culture – “Culture is the sum of behaviors you tolerate and reward over time.”
- Patience & Commitment – “The effort of earning an independent income, regardless of path, takes a lot of patience and commitment. Those words aren’t sexy and they aren’t fast. But they are reliable.”
- In 2019, Jay produced a feature-length documentary called Test City, USA about the growing startup ecosystem in Columbus, Ohio.
- A+ work – A Power law. The #2 result gets half as much as the #1 result. When creating something, shoot for A+ quality work.
- The test: When someone sees it, they can’t help but comment on it, share it, and tell their friends.
- You want to start a podcast?
- Why are you doing this?
- What’s the format?
- How can you market it?
- Audio needs to sound great
- The Juice = feedback from listeners that your show has helped them.
- Authenticity – You need to feel aligned and comfortable with your voice on air.
- Wabi–sabi is the view or thought of finding beauty in every aspect of imperfection in nature. It is about the aesthetic of things in existence, that are “imperfect, impermanent, and incomplete”
- Life/Career advice:
- It takes time to forge your own path
- Get in touch with what you want
- Trial and error – view it as a series of experiments
- Get your WHO right
- Apply to be part of my Leadership Circle
- Read: WELCOME TO MANAGEMENT
- Be part of “Mindful Monday” — Text LEARNERS to 44222
- Go to: JayClouse.com
- Connect with me on LinkedIn
- Join our Facebook Group: The Learning Leader Community
- To Follow Me on Twitter: @RyanHawk12
Episode 078: Kat Cole – From Hooters Waitress To President of Cinnabon
Episode 216: Jim Collins — How To Go From Good To Great
Episode #300: AJ & Keith Hawk – How To Instill Work Ethic & Curiosity In Your Children
Episode #303: General Stanley McChrystal – The New Definition Of Leadership