Text Hawk to 66866 to become part of “Mindful Monday.” Join 10’s of thousands of your fellow learning leaders and receive a carefully curated email from me each Monday morning to help you start your week off right…
Full show notes at www.LearningLeader.com
Twitter/IG: @RyanHawk12 https://twitter.com/RyanHawk12
Matt Higgins was an executive for the New York Jets and then the Miami Dolphins. He Co-Founded RSE Ventures with Miami Dolphins owner, Stephen Ross. Matt was a guest shark on ABC’s Shark Tank (seasons 10-11), He is an executive fellow at Harvard Business School, and he recently published a book called, Burn The Boats, Toss Plan B Overboard and Unleash Your Full Potential...
- Matt’s Mom: “My mother, Linda, died with $100 in her bank account, but I inherited the most valuable gift a parent can give a child: limitless faith in my ability to figure anything out.”
- Matt gave the 2019 commencement speech at Queens College – According to Vanity Fair Contributing Editor Paul Goldberger, “This is a magnificent and truly inspiring speech that everyone should read. If you think commencement speeches are made of cliches, this one will change your mind.”
- The most important ingredient to professional success: “Make yourself indispensable at whatever task you’re doing and you’ll always have a job.”
- Research proves that the mere contemplation of Plan B statistically reduces the probability Plan A will ever materialize.
- The advice Matt got from Daymond John on how to handle imposter syndrome on his first day of filming Shark Tank: “You belong here because you are here.”
- How to raise your kids to not be spoiled when you can provide anything they’d ever want?
- There is nobility in work. Ensure they do hard things and do real work.
- Matt’s “must-have” qualities when hiring a leader:
- Confidence + Humility
- They just “figure it out”
- They are a servant leader — They can “plug holes”
- Matt’s four-step process:
- What’s the worst that could happen?
- If it doesn’t work out, what will I do?
- What’s the probability the bad stuff will happen?
- What pain am I willing to endure to make it happen?
- “Burn the boats for goals, not tactics.”