Text Hawk to 66866 to become part of “Mindful Monday.” Join 10’s of thousands of your fellow learning leaders and receive a carefully curated email from me each Monday morning to help you start your week off right…
Full show notes at www.LearningLeader.com
Twitter/IG: @RyanHawk12 https://twitter.com/RyanHawk12
- Be on time. It’s not okay to be late. As the leader, we have to set the right example.
- There is a narrow path to Top Gun, but Dave made it…
- Dave served as an ANGLICO Forward Air Controller supporting the Army’s 1st Armored Division during extensive urban combat operations on the ground in Ramadi, Iraq in 2006. He led his supporting arms liaison team on scores of combat missions into the most dangerous neighborhoods and accompanied SEAL Task Unit Bruiser on virtually every major operation in the Battle of Ramadi. He was the only Marine selected to fly the F-22 Raptor having served as an exchange officer at the Air Force’s 422nd Test and Evaluation Squadron as the Division Commander. He became the first operational pilot ever to fly and be qualified in the F-35B, serving as the Commanding Officer of the Marine Corps’ first F-35 squadron from 2012-2014.
- Balancing courage and confidence with humility – It’s a must to surround yourself with others who continue to push you and keep your ego in check.
- The attributes of a Top Gun instructor: Willing to learn and Able to teach. Great leaders seem to have those same qualities.
- Dave’s choice to volunteer to fight on the ground is what led him to meet Jocko Willink and thus change his life. Stepping up and doing a job that others don’t want to do, and taking that responsibility can lead to amazing opportunities.
- A Top Gun pilot must balance courage and confidence with humility.
- You need a great support group around you to keep in check.
- Your ego, however, can be helpful at times. “It allows you to do things that others say can’t be done.”
- How to deal with negative self-talk?
- “We all deal with it. Relax. Take a step back. Breathe. Detach from the situation.”