Text LEARNERS to 44222 for earyl access to my upcoming book…
Full show notes at www.LearningLeader.com
Twitter/IG: @RyanHawk12 https://twitter.com/RyanHawk12
In 2005, Rebecca Minkoff designed her first handbag, which she dubbed the “Morning After Bag. This iconic bag ignited Rebecca’s career as a handbag designer and inspired the brands’ expansion into a lifestyle brand in the years to come. Actress Jenna Elfman wore her “I Heart New York” shirt on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno. Today, Rebecca Minkoff is a global brand with a wide range of apparel, handbags, footwear, jewelry, timepieces, eyewear, and fragrance.
- When Rebecca was 8 years old, she wanted her mom to buy her a dress. Her mom said, “no, but I’ll teach you to sew.” From that point, Rebecca was fascinated with the idea of buying things for herself.
- Rebecca doesn’t love the word “mentor.” She was forced to learn by doing.
- She moved at age 18. Became an intern and then a designer. Eventually, she started her own business.
- When Jenna Elfman wore her I heart NYC shirt on Jay Leno’s show, it got her foot in the door.
- “When Jenna asked if I could make her a handbag, I lied and said I could do it.”
- “I think everyone should get cozy with failure.”
- Self Care: “Work can be self-care, too.” She’s particularly resistant to the notion that self-care can solve burnout — the feeling of acute exhaustion that has gained more attention recently. “There is no scented candle in the world that will make that feeling go away.” Self-reflection cures burnout, she argues, not self-care.
- “You don’t need to ask for permission. Don’t seek permission. Just go for it.”
- Rebecca learned from her mom to be genuinely herself. “I learned to be tough, resilient, and fight back from my mom.”
- “Don’t get scared to lead with strength.”
- “Trying hard is not good enough. You must get results.”
- Advice for future generations? “There are no shortcuts.”
- “Failure is like a muscle. Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn.”
- “Success is the ability to keep going.”
- “The definition of happiness is overcoming barriers towards your goal.”