The Learning Leader Show With Ryan Hawk
Text LEARNERS to 44222
Full show notes can be found at www.LearningLeader.com
Episode #361: John C. Maxwell – The Essential Changes Every Leader Must Embrace
- Adaptability: “Good leaders adapt. They shift. They don’t remain static because they know the world around them does not remain static.”
- 3 questions to ask yourself every day:
- How will this crisis make me better?
- How will I use this crisis to help others?
- What action will I take to improve my situation?
- Leaders get paid to deal with uncertainty. They must relish it because it comes with the territory. Betty Bender, former president of the Library Administration and Management Association, explains, “Anything I’ve ever done that ultimately was worthwhile initially scared me to death.”
- “Success in life comes not from holding a good hand, but from playing a bad hand well.” – Warren Lester
- Leaders become invigorated with problems.
- “Doing the right thing daily, compounds over time.”
- Ask what you can do to add value to others during this time.
- “Leaders don’t rise to the pinnacle of success without developing the right set of attitudes and habits; they make every day a masterpiece.”
- It’s okay to be uncertain but it’s not okay for a leader to be unclear.
- If you prepare today you don’t have to repair tomorrow.
- The opposite of distraction is traction.
- Crisis moves us
- You help people gain traction by helping them gain perspective.
- Fear is a negative emotion, feeding fear is like putting fertilizer on weeds.
- The question is what is going to dominate between fear an faith and the dominant emotion will win the day.
- What gains your attention and focus only grows whether that’s fear or faith.
- “A difficult time can be more readily endured if we retain the conviction that our existence holds a purpose, a cause to pursue, a person to love, a goal to achieve.”
- Great coaches make adjustments during a game.
- Action is where all transformation takes place.
- The most overrated English phrase is good intentions.
- “Change is inevitable. Growth is optional.”
- A crisis doesn’t make a person, a crisis reveals a person.
- “The difference between average people and achieving people is their perception of and response to failure.”
- “Decision making is easy when you know what your values are.”
- Right now the people come first, the company second, yourself last.
- Respect is learned and earned on difficult ground.
- “No one ever coasted their way to greatness.”
- People don’t want perfect leaders, they want authentic leaders.
- Experience is not the best teacher. Evaluated learning from experience is the best teacher.
- The first step to great communication is to get over yourself. It’s not about you. Focus on others and adding value.