The Learning Leader Show With Ryan Hawk
#295: Todd Herman – Using Alter Egos To Transform Your Life
To read the full show notes, go to www.LearningLeader.com
- Commonalities of sustaining excellence:
- “Negative capability” (John Keats term)
- The ability to pursue your dream despite the fact that circumstance tells you it won’t happen.
- Not losing faith despite the long odds
- Mental toughness – “The ability to be flexible & adaptable despite what the world is throwing at you.”
- The OPP framework for goal setting:
- Performance – Resources
- Process – Who, what, when, where
- What Todd does?
- He’s on a mission to give people smart thinking models. He helps ambitious people.
- Revenue generation: He’s built programs and systems and licensed it to sports teams
- He does sport science and peak performance coaching
- Grew up doing speaking competitions.
- Did 68 speeches in 90 days. All for free. Have to “get the reps”
- “This is how I know I’ve made it… I loved doing a free speech for four people. I loved it!”
- “You must show up. Continue to show up no matter what. Even if nobody is there, show up anyway.”
- “The answers are never waiting for you to sit still. The answers are out there doing it. It’s action that matters.”
- How Todd developed strong mental toughness?
- Rough upbringing — He was sexually abused at a church camp when he was 12
- He retreated and developed mental toughness to deal with it
- Skills developed as an athlete that translated to life outside of sports:
- Why are alter-egos so powerful?
- They help you get into flow state and not get out of your head
- The Bo Jackson story — “Bo Jackson never played a down of football. It was Jason from Friday The 13th. I was crazy out there.”