Episode 195: Derek Thompson – What Makes Something A Hit? (Hit Makers)
Subscribe on iTunes or Stitcher Radio
The Learning Leader Show
“Think of speechwriting like a music composer. Use repetition and choruses.”
In This Episode, You Will Learn:
- What makes something a hit?
- Is there a formula? No, there is not a formula… People think there is and that’s a mistake
- Bottom line: “Distribution beats content” — “This is an unsentimental book”
- There is power in distribution
- How did Simon Sinek’s TED Talk go viral?
- It was shared by people with millions of followers on multiple platforms like Reddit
- Think: Who is my audience? Broadcast your content to the right audience
- Why do we always watch Dumber and Dumber and Shawshank Redemption?
- There is nostalgia in art
- We are always trying to recover existential love
- How did Bumble spread?
- Injected into mainstream consciousness through celebrity — Start with one very attractive sorority and continue to repeat
- How did Facebook spread?
- Piggy backed off of other networks (Harvard)
- How Jon Favreau and President Barack Obama write speeches:
- They think like musicians
- Using choruses and repetition
- The best speeches connect with people where they are — “The power of repetition in song is remarkable”
- How has Derek made his book a best-seller?
- Familiarity and repartition followed by surprise
- Familiar surprises throughout
- Great distribution
“We don’t like pure originality that much. We like familiarity.”
You may also like these episodes:
Episode 078: Kat Cole – From Hooters Waitress To President of Cinnabon
Episode 071: Nate Boyer – Green Beret, Texas Football, The NFL
Episode 179: How To Sustain Excellence – The Best Answers From 178 Questions
Episode 107: Simon Sinek – Leadership: It Starts With Why
Did you enjoy the podcast?
If you enjoyed hearing Derek Thompson on the show, please don’t hesitate to send me a note on Twitter or email me.
Episode edited by the great J Scott Donnell
The Learning Leader Show is supported by FreshBooks: FreshBooks is offering a 30 day, unrestricted free trial to my listeners. To claim it, just go to FreshBooks.com/Learning and enter LEARNING LEADER in the “How Did You Hear About Us?” section.