Episode 142: Donald Miller – “I Will Make You Everyone’s Favorite Leader”
Donald Miller is a student of story. He’s the author of New York Times Best Sellers: “Blue Like Jazz,” “A Million Miles in a Thousand Years,” and “Scary Close.” He co-wrote the major motion picture “Blue Like Jazz” which debuted at the SXSW Film Festival and was listed as one of the top four movies to get you through freshman year by USA Today. He has served on The Presidential Task Force for Fatherhood and Healthy Families, a joint effort between government and the private sector to rewrite the story of fatherlessness in America. Donald Miller is a 3 time NY Times best-selling author. He has worked on Presidential campaigns, and now he helps people clearly and concisely tell their stories through live events and at StoryBrand.com
Episode 142: Donald Miller – “I’m Will Make You Everyone’s Favorite Leader”
Subscribe on iTunes or Stitcher Radio
The Learning Leader Show
“We don’t want to react to life. We want to impose our will upon life.”
In This Episode, You Will Learn:
- Having the ability to focus like Michael Hyatt and Bob Goff leads to sustained excellence
- The importance of writing it down
- Creating a filter to say “No”
- The process for creating your story — “If you confuse, you lose”
- The 7 storybrand rules that Jeb Bush broke
- People want to hear “their” story, not yours
- Passing the “laptop to a caveman” test
- Your website should answer 3 questions:
- What are you offering?
- How does it make my life better?
- How do I buy?
- The top right quadrant is the most important part of your website
- The 2 dominant things your brain does
- Survive and thrive
- Tries to conserve energy
- The 7 parts of a story: 1) Character 2) A problem 3) A guide 4) A plan 5) The action 6) Ends in success 7) Or failure
- Why “Make America Great Again” is a fantastic slogan
- “Every human being is looking for a guide to help them”
- Why empathy and authority are needed
- “I know how to make you the leader that everyone loves” — What are the 3 steps to making you the leader that everyone loves
- Make everyone think: “What will my life be if I don’t subscribe to your podcast?”
“I’m going to make you everyone’s favorite leader.”
You may also like these episodes:
Episode 078: Kat Cole – From Hooters Waitress To President of Cinnabon
Episode 082: Dan Pink – The Science of Motivation, Legendary Writer & Ted Talk
Episode 086: Seth Godin – How To Become Indispensable & Build Your Tribe
Episode 107: Simon Sinek – Leadership: It Starts With Why
Did you enjoy the podcast?
If you enjoyed hearing Donald Miller on the show, please don’t hesitate to send me a note on Twitter or email me.
Episode edited by the great J Scott Donnell
Bio From Amazon.com
Donald Miller is a 3 time NY Times best-selling author. He has worked on Presidential campaigns, and now he helps people clearly and concisely tell their stories through live events and at StoryBrand.com