Dan Patrick is a Hall-of-Fame sports broadcaster and host of The Dan Patrick Show (1M+ listeners, 371 affiliates). Prior to that, he spent 18 years at ESPN hosting the 11:00 SportsCenter (known as “The Big Show”). Dan went on to be the three-time host of the Olympics for NBC Sports. He’s also been cast to act in many Adam Sandler movies.
WATCH this conversation on YouTube. And SUBSCRIBE!
Read my book, The Pursuit Of Excellence — See why Patrick Lencioni said “This book is an absolute must-read if you care to live an excellent life.”
The Learning Leader Show
- What makes a great interview?
- They tell stories
- It feels like your eavesdropping on their conversation (he takes you inside)
- He disarms them with humor
- Ask shorter questions…
- Take care of your people… Dan has had the Dannettes with him for many years. He listens to his teammates, Makes them part of his show, and truly cares for him. In return, they are there for him every day. It seems obvious, but it’s not. Dan is evidence that this approach works…
- Dan has been influenced by Howard Stern’s interviewing style of always being curious… And he makes his staff part of the show.
- “I love being a voice in your head. You’re in your car, driving, and I love being that voice in your head.”
- Interviewing… Manage the tension. “Shorter questions get better answers.”
- Dan met Adam Sandler at Madison Square Garden and agreed that he would be cast in his next movie… He has since been cast in many more.
- Dan shares the story of meeting Dave Matthews, spilling his beer on him, and then later singing karaoke with him.
- Dan is the author of The Occasionally Accurate Annals of Football: The NFL’s Greatest Players, Plays, Scandals, and Screw-Ups (Plus Stuff We Totally Made Up)
- Leaving ESPN – Dan admitted he was hurt when good friend, Sports Illustrated writer Rick Reilly (who would move to ESPN) wrote, “Patrick was making one of the top 5 biggest career mistakes in entertainment history,” ranking right under Shelley Long‘s leaving Cheers and Katie Couric‘s leaving NBC’s Today show for the CBS Evening News.
- Life/Career advice:
- Be humble, be hungry, have humility, and be ready to go when your opportunity presents itself. The old adage rings true, “You don’t have to get ready if you stay ready.” Always be ready for your opportunity.
- Retirement Tour – Dan Patrick announces he plans to continue the Dan Patrick Show for the next four-and-a-half years with the intention of retiring at the end of 2027.
- Apply to be part of my Leadership Circle
- Read: The Pursuit Of Excellence
- Read: WELCOME TO MANAGEMENT
- Be part of “Mindful Monday” — Text HAWK to 66866
- Connect with me on LinkedIn
- Join our Facebook Group: The Learning Leader Community
- To Follow Me on Twitter: @RyanHawk12
02:16 – Interviewing Philosophy
07:31 – What Makes an Awesome Guest?
13:44 – Dan’s Philosophy of His Show
15:24 – How to Take Care of Your People
23:10 – Planning for Sportscenter Episodes
28:47 – Dan’s Thoughts on ESPN now
33:49 – Working With Adam Sandler
37:28 – Acting With Dave Matthews
39:35 – Career Advice From Dan Patrick
Episode 078: Kat Cole – From Hooters Waitress To President of Cinnabon
Episode 216: Jim Collins — How To Go From Good To Great
Episode #300: AJ & Keith Hawk – How To Instill Work Ethic & Curiosity In Your Children
Episode #303: General Stanley McChrystal – The New Definition Of Leadership