As the first female F-14 Tomcat pilot, Carey Lohrenz was a pioneer in military aviation. Having flown missions worldwide as a combat, mission-ready United States Navy pilot, Carey Lohrenz is used to working in fast-moving, dynamic environments.
Carey Lohrenz is the author of “Fearless Leadership: High-Performance Lessons from the Flight Deck,” and “Span of Control: What To Do When You’re Under Pressure, Overwhelmed, And Ready To Get What You Really Want.”
WATCH this conversation on YouTube. And SUBSCRIBE!
Be part of “Mindful Monday” — Text LEARNERS to 44222
The Learning Leader Show
- You must focus attention and effort explicitly and relentlessly only on the limited number of priorities that can be controlled.
- You must set a clear vision and create a flight plan for success, communicate that vision, and translate it into concrete goals, and achievable “to do’s.”
- Carey walks us through the fundamentals of surviving and succeeding during times of crisis.
- In order to solve the challenges of chaos and make our goals, dreams, and commitments a reality, we have to understand that in order to succeed when the pressure is on and to improve our performance overall, we’ve got to know what we can and cannot control.
- “Knowing your value, speaking up, and not flying under the radar—this is what fearless leadership is about.”
- “If you want to become a stronger leader, you must be willing to step up, show up, and put in the time!”
- “There are no secrets to success. It is the result of preparation, hard work, and learning from failure.”
- “Span of Control is one of the best military-themed leadership books I have ever read. Carey Lohrenz does a remarkable job of connecting success in the cockpit of a fighter jet with success in life. If you’re going to buy one leadership book this year, make it this one!” – Admiral William McRaven
- Be part of my Leadership Circle
- Read: WELCOME TO MANAGEMENT
- Be part of “Mindful Monday” — Text LEARNERS to 44222
- Read: Span Of Control
- Connect with me on LinkedIn
- Join our Facebook Group: The Learning Leader Community
- To Follow Me on Twitter: @RyanHawk12
Episode 078: Kat Cole – From Hooters Waitress To President of Cinnabon
Episode 216: Jim Collins — How To Go From Good To Great
Episode #300: AJ & Keith Hawk – How To Instill Work Ethic & Curiosity In Your Children
Episode #303: General Stanley McChrystal – The New Definition Of Leadership