Brian Johnson is the Founder & CEO of Heroic Public Benefit Corporation and the author of Areté: Activate Your Heroic Potential. As a Founder/CEO he’s built and sold two social platforms. As a Philosopher and teacher, he’s trained more than 10,000 Heroic Coaches from 100+ countries and created a protocol that changes lives.
WATCH this conversation on YouTube. And SUBSCRIBE!
Read my book, The Pursuit Of Excellence — See why Patrick Lencioni said “This book is an absolute must-read if you care to live an excellent life.”
The Learning Leader Show
- Charisma: Presence, Power, and Warmth – Show up, be fully there. In that moment with the person in front of you. Flip the switch. Understand your power. And deeply care for others. Be warm, not cold. And it’s important that each of these is expressed with authenticity. That’s how to develop more charisma.
- How to develop our protocol – A simple exercise. Get a sheet of paper. On one side write “DO.” On the other side, write “DON’T.” Think of yourself at your best, what do you do? That’s your protocol. And remember that the worse you feel, the more committed you need to be to your protocol
- It’s always day one. Brian thinks of his time spent with the Navy SEALs. They work to earn their trident every single day. Today is the day. It’s always the right day to earn it. It’s always day 1.
- Arete – An ancient Greek word. We translate it into English as ‘virtue’ or ‘excellence,’ but it has a deeper meaning. Something closer to ‘expressing the best version of yourself moment to moment to moment.’
- Inter-leaving – The basic idea is simple: If you want to learn something, you’re better off varying your practice rather than grooving one identical rep after another.
- Epictetus – One of his students took great lecture notes and captured his wisdom in a manual called the Enchiridion. The Greek word for Enchiridion is translated as “handbook,” and it’s important to note that the word literally means “within” + “hand.”
- Intrinsic versus Extrinsic motivation – Which motivation leads to greater levels of happiness and flourishing? Why? It’s why people who get to the peak of what David Brooks calls the “First Mountain” look around and wonder why they don’t feel fulfilled. They got all the stuff they were told would make them happy and… they’re not.
- Phil Stutz wrote the Foreword – Practice comprised of unusual people. “They refuse to be defined by any single accomplishment. Their Identity is based on a process of endless possibility. They don’t stop creating.”
- Two primary obstacles getting in our way are fear and laziness. This comes from Phil Stutz…
- AM and PM Bookends – “Get these right and you’re 80% there.”
- Targeted thinking – What do I want? What’s needed to get that done?
- Consistency – “Who you are speaks so loudly I cannot hear what you say.”
- Unshakeable confidence — Anti-fragile confidence. You have intense trust that you have what it takes to respond.
- Anti-Fragility – The more life kicks you around, the better you get.
- Emotional stamina – The worse you feel, the more committed you are to your protocol.
- Protocol – Think of yourself at your best… What are you doing?
- Hero – An ancient Greek word for protector
- Get clear on your identity
- Sleep, meditate, work out, work, love
- Pilots have checklists before they fly a plane… We should use one too each day.
- Create your “Do” and “Don’t” list
- Intrinsic vs Extrinsic motivation — Deepend relationships, help in your community, focus on your eulogy virtues today…
- Hire a coach… We all need a coach
- A great coach has believable hope, they see your potential
- Apply to be part of my Leadership Circle
- Read: The Pursuit Of Excellence
- Read: WELCOME TO MANAGEMENT
- Be part of “Mindful Monday” — Text HAWK to 66866
- Connect with me on LinkedIn
- Join our Facebook Group: The Learning Leader Community
- To Follow Me on Twitter: @RyanHawk12
00:32 – It’s Always “Day One”
02:55 – What Does Arete Mean to Brian?
10:09 – “Interleaving” – Can You Learn to Learn?
20:57 – How Do We Develop More Charisma?
24:56 – How to Build Unshakable Confidence
35:36 – Two Types of Motivation
38:58 – Two Primary Obstacles from Dr. Phil Stutz
44:07 – The Value of a Coach
50:04 – Must-Have Qualities to Work with Brian
52:16 – Career Advice From Brian Johnson
Episode 078: Kat Cole – From Hooters Waitress To President of Cinnabon
Episode 216: Jim Collins — How To Go From Good To Great
Episode #300: AJ & Keith Hawk – How To Instill Work Ethic & Curiosity In Your Children
Episode #303: General Stanley McChrystal – The New Definition Of Leadership